Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Will My Business Entity Need An Agent For Service Of Process?

Yes, your business will need an agent for service of process in the state in which it is formed and in any other state in which it is authorized to do business. The agent for service of process is the person or entity authorized to receive legal papers on behalf of the business entity, such as when the business entity is "served" with a lawsuit. The agent is also referred to as the registered agent, local agent, resident agent or initial agent.

Generally, the agent may either be an adult individual who resides in the state, or the agent may be another business entity authorized to do business in the state. Many states allow an officer or director of the business to serve as the agent.

No comments:

Post a Comment